The University of Dayton Archives and Special Collections was established in 1973 for the purpose of preserving the University's history. The Collection includes materials dating from 1850, when St. Mary's Institute was founded as a grammar school for boys, to the University's present status as a well known Catholic and Marianist institution of higher learning.

Most of the special collections housed with the University Archives are materials related to University of Dayton alumni. They include the Congressional papers of Charles W. Whalen (1966-1978), an alumnus and former faculty member; the Pflaum Collections, consisting of the publications of the Pflaum Publishing Co. of Dayton; the collection of Karl West Flaster, a librettist and poet, donated by his son who graduated from the University. Also included is the Urban Schurr Collection, which contains materials relating to the performing arts, locally as well as nationally and internationally. This collection consists of playbills, photographs, scrapbooks and memorabilia.

Other special collections are: the Michael Polanyi papers, the Dime Novel Club Reprints Collection, the Catholic Civil Liberties Union Papers and Erma Bombeck's papers.

The University of Dayton Archives and Special Collections is open to the University community and the public; however, access to materials pertaining to the organizational history of the University may require the permission of the founding office. Access and use of some of the special collections require the permission of the donor.

Visit the UD Archives Collection Web site.